Thursday, September 19, 2013

From the Ground Fashion Show: A Recap

If you follow me on Facebook, you'll know last weekend was quite a busy one.  I did some local boutique shopping, hit up Greentopia, Artists' Row at the Public Market, the Brainery Bazaar, had dinner at TRATA, and lunch at Magnolia's on Park Ave.  I do have to say that the highlight of my weekend was, without a doubt, the From the Ground Fashion Show.

What.  A.  Night.

Let's take a moment to think about how freaking awesome High Falls is.  Come on Rochester, we have a waterfall, and wooded gorge in the middle of our city.  Who else can say that?  


And when was the last time you went to a runway show in the middle of a city street?  Where the runway was crushed cars?  Sponsor logos were spray painted on the backdrop, skateboarders performed at intermission, your program was texted to you, and the fashions were fierce, local and sustainable?  PROBABLY NEVER.

Check out this set up on Commercial Street:


The energy was palpable.  Guest mingled at the VIP party sipping wines, craft beer, and housing vegan truffles.

Me and the lovely Sarah Griffith of Simply Sarah Fashion Blog (coming soon!)
A few minutes before showtime, everyone got to their seats and waited in eager anticipation.

Rick Pavia and Sarah Griffith
Yours Truly with hair stylist Holly DelGaudio

Crowds gathered.




And the show began.

Co-Producers Shawn Dunwoody and Agathi Georgiou
Er'body got up as "Blurred Lines" started pumping from the DJ booth and the first model hit the runway.  People were dancing, snapping shots for instagram, and shooting videos for vine.  The energy was electric.
  
Sadly this fashionista can't take a decent action shot to save her life.  So, my apologies for the quality of these photos, but I just wanted to give you a taste of what you missed.


I was, however, by some miracle (a gift from God if you will), able to capture this image:


Women of Rochester (and gentlemen who are so inclined) THIS is why you attend events.


And this.

Ok, her too.  I mean, seriously, who DOESN't like looking at beautiful people!?

I digress.

Here are some more {grainy iphone} shots from the show:






Though my photos do not do it justice, From the Ground was ah-mazing!  It exceeded my expectations (and they were pretty high).  I love seeing people put aside differences to come together for a common cause.  I loved how art and fashion made the concept of sustainability so tangible.  I loved seeing tattooed hipsters side-by-side with suburban soccer moms.  THIS is what urban innovation is all about:   community and people.   Good, diverse, socially-responsible people sharing their passions with the city that they love.  THAT, my friends, is a thing of beauty.  That is why I loved this show, and why I love Rochester.

Good stuff is happening all around you.  Open your eyes.

And let your light shine.

xoxo

Jenny
The Flower City Fashionista

3 comments:

  1. Such a great article, thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agathi, my pleasure! The night was a huge success. Please let me know of any of your upcoming projects! xoxo Jenny

      Delete
  2. I am so bummed I was not in town for Greentopia and all the activities around this great festival. I have love their concept from day 1. Great recap!

    ReplyDelete